Wednesday 3 February 2010

Millie's Quilt

When I first discovered Millie was sick with the likelihood of not getting better, I decided to make a quilt in her honour.  Originally I hoped to bury it with her in the hopes that she would give me enough time to make it, but that was not to happen.  I think it will be nice to have a quilt that resembles her comfort to me - a constant reminder of her at home.

This quilt has been quite a different construction.  Rather than working from a pattern and labouring over colour and pattern selection, I walked into the craft store and kind of "felt" my way through the range of materials.
Quite different to my usual choices; I was guided by the idea of creating a rainbow of colours, full of brightness and warmth.
I cut the material into five and half inch squares and experimented with different layouts to find the one I liked the most.  Eventually the quilt materialised . . .

This is a snapshot of the quilt top.  I wanted to create a randomness to the pattern with loads of colour.  I decided to do some larger feature blocks of the material I loved the most.

Even the backing became experimental.  Instead of buying a length of material I decided to use up the material scraps and sew them together in strips.  Very economical! I have bought purple material to sew on each side of the panel, and will be attempting machine quilting for the first time!!

At this stage I am still not sure how the quilt will finish, and as with most things at the moment, I feel numb when I look at it.  But I hope in time it will give me happiness, just like Millie did.

No comments:

Post a Comment