Friday 8 January 2010

Books

You may remember an earlier post I wrote describing myself as mildly obsessed with books - I have a love affair with them.  I often think about that question often posed . . . if you were stranded on a deserted island what could you not live without?  Never been able to answer that one with confidence, but I think I could settle there quite well if it had a library!

When moving to our dream home recently, I had a bookcase built in to house my ever expanding collection.  It surprised me to discover I had not allowed enough shelving for all of them, and had to let the horrifying thought enter my head that I may have to cull some of them (gulp).  I remembered reading a note on collections in a fantastic book called "Sorted" by Lissanne Oliver;
"All collections benefit from the setting of boundaries. If you don't set a boundary, at what point do you stop?  And how do you refine the quality of your stuff?"
So with a renewed view to respecting my books by only keeping the very special ones to me, I had a sort and did discover some long forgotten books that I enjoyed reading again.

My favorite section - the craft/decorating/gardening books - you may notice the slight bow in the shelf (quite proud of that!!)

So now instead of trawling the bookshops on a regular basis, my children and I frequent the public library, and so I did today . . .


 As you can see, there is a variety of books; I think they are just brilliant for fulfilling a current interest or expanding knowledge on a subject.  In the past I was all about novels, but these days the non-fiction section can hold me for hours.  So many fascinating subjects!!

Thankfully, my children have caught the reading bug too, and we have a huge stash of rotating picture books to read before bedtime at night.  I believe education is pretty powerful, and what a great way to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment